Flax seed chutney powder




My hubby introduced me to flax seeds after he read about its medicinal effects somewhere. I wanted to make it part of my diet and initially had a spoonful with milk daily. Recently I found this recipe online at http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/06/23/flax-seeds-curry-leaf-karam-podi/ and decided to make a chutney powder with flax seeds. I now have it with rice and ghee or even add a pinch of it to my veggies while cooking for a different flavour. Flax seeds is rich in Omega 3 and fibre so a good supplement to daily diet. It is good for menstrual cramp a reason why I chose to include it in my diet it also makes you feel fresh and energetic. I find it make a lot of difference to my energy levels though I can't assure you if its true for everyone. I was reluctant to try this initially and I am sure many dont make the effort but all I would say is try it as any other chutney powder of flavour milk powder and it will definitely be of help.


Ingredients for Flax seed chutney powder

Flax seed- 1/2 cup
Urad dal- 1/2 cup
Channa dal - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves dried- lots of them
Dry red chillies- 5-8
Cumin seeds- 2 tbsp
Asafoetida- 1 tsp
Oil- 2 tsp

Direction
In a pan fry the flax seeds they splutter like mustard seeds. Keep them aside to cool.


Now heat oil and fry the jeera and dry chillies followed by urad and channa dal. Roast the dals till they turn red and add asafoetida.

Once this mix cools grind it with the flax seeds and curry leaves. Add salt to the powder after you strain it to get a fine powder. I used the leftover coarse powder left after straining the ground powder,to flavour curries. Store in an airtight container. While serving mix with tamarind extract, oil, ghee or curd any of these can pep up the powder. This powder can be had with rice, rotis and even sprinkled over omelettes, soups and salads.

Labels: , ,